There are many ways in which individuals can be of assistance to the Oregon State University Marine Mammal Institute.
Give a Gift
You can help expand our research by making a gift to the OSU Foundation. If you choose to support the Marine Mammal Institute, please know that your gift will have a significant impact. Private funds support about half of our research, for which we are extremely grateful.
- Donations: Make a gift online to the Marine Mammal Institute today through the widget to the right. Use the drop-down menu to select a fund at MMI to support. To contribute by phone, please call the OSU Foundation at (800) 354-7281 or (541) 737-4218.
- Estate Planning: To ensure that your estate gift to Marine Mammal Institute is carried out as you wish, please see our sample Bequest Language.
- Life-Income Gifts: A “life-income gift” guarantees an income stream for life. To learn more, please contact the OSU Foundation Office of Gift Planning, (800) 336-8217, email@example.com.
- Endowment: The OSU Foundation created the Marine Mammal Research Endowment in 1991 to sustain the research efforts of the Marine Mammal Institute.
- Adopt-a-Whale: In 1999, the Marine Mammal Institute began an adopt-a-whale program. For more information about how you can support this program, please contact our office.
Each winter, Dr. Bruce Mate teaches a weekend course to volunteers of the Whale Watching Spoken Here program. These 200–400 volunteers then help to educate 40,000 visitors to the Oregon Coast during the height of the gray whale migration cycle.
The Oregon Marine Mammal Stranding Network (OMMSN) relies heavily on the involvement of citizen volunteers, who serve as its eyes and ears on the beaches. For more information, please contact Jim Rice, OMMSN Coordinator, at (541) 867-0446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.